Given the constant drive to innovate, time moves pretty fast in the medical imaging industry. It should come as no surprise then that the annual Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) conference, HIMSS17
, is here once again. Held this year from February 20-22 in Orlando, Fla., HIMSS is the largest health IT conference in North America, with 43,000 people and 1,200 exhibitors expected to attend. We at Merge are excited to be back at HIMSS as the show provides a great opportunity for us to connect with our valued clients, forge new business relationships, and shine a spotlight on how Merge solutions address some of the most prevalent and pressing challenges in health IT.
This year is particularly exciting as the conference kicked off with an opening keynote address from Ginni Rometty
, the chairman, president and CEO of Merge parent company, IBM. This morning, Rometty spoke on one of the conference's hottest topics: Cognitive Systems and the Future of Healthcare. In the address, she announced the company's first commercially available cognitive solution, IBM Watson Imaging Clinical Review.
In booth #1712
, Merge is demonstrating how we plan to add cognitive healthcare capabilities to our solutions suite, and we are showcasing our leadership in imaging innovation as an integral part of Watson Health Imaging. Among the featured Merge works in progress are:
- Marktation: a new process for interpreting medical images in which a physician labels findings on an image, and the text label is then simultaneously stored on the image and pushed into the clinical report.*
- Watson Clinical Integration Module: a cloud application that aims to present intelligently compiled clinical information based on both the indications for an exam and Watson's understanding of clinical relevance.*
- Lesion Segmentation and Tracking Module: a tool that aims to automatically segment physician-marked lesions, pre-mark new exams with the index lesions from prior exams, and produce tracking tables.*
Featured solutions from Watson Health Imaging Works in Progress include:
- IBM Watson Imaging Clinical Review, the newly-released cognitive "peer review" tool used to detect and enable the reconciliation of differences between clinical diagnosis and the patient's EMR problem list and recorded diagnosis.
- A cognitive data summarization tool that looks expansively at available patient data sources, filters, and then presents the contextually relevant information within a single view.*
- A cognitive physician support tool that suggests differential diagnoses options to help inform the physician's decisions for the patient.*
While cognitive capabilities are a big part of our booth presence, we are also demonstrating many of Merge's core solutions including our iConnect® suite of interoperability products
that help our customers:
- Seamlessly embed imaging into their electronic medical record, helping doctors, nurses, other caregivers, and their patients
- Improve image data capture, ingestion, management, viewing, and sharing across the enterprise
Although booth #1712 is Merge's home base at HIMSS17, we can also be found beyond the showroom floor. Merge's Brian Hart will co-present with University of Miami Health System's Dawn Cram on integrating non-DICOM images using XDS
on February 21. And each day of exhibit hours, Merge is taking part in the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase
in booth #9000.
See you at the Merge booth.
*The capabilities referenced as Works in Progress are in the research and development phase and are not available for any use, commercial or non-commercial. Any statements and claims related to the capabilities referenced are aspirational only.